Monday, August 19, 2013

Scottish Shortbread

This is the easiest cookie/dessert to make, ever.  And they will make you look good, in the bargain!

You'll need a shortbread pan something like this:


They can be gotten here or here, or try yard sales and second hand stores.
And for fun, this a great website for looking at pan designs and finding recipes.
However, they don't sell the pans.


Okay, here's the recipe:

1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 cup flour

Yep, that's IT!  Amazing how flour, butter and sugar make amazing tasting goodies.  I think every country has their own version of this kind of cookie.

Now, for the flour part, you have to get the feel for the dough.  If I'm using all purpose flour, I use 2 Tablespoons less than a full cup.  If I'm using pastry flour, I use the full cup.  If I'm using half wheat flour and half gluten-free flour blend, then I try 1/2 cup each and then play with it.  If I'm using just gluten-free flour blend, I start with a cup and then see if it needs to be a bit denser.  So.  Once you get the flour amount figured, it's easy-peasy!  The dough needs to be stiff but not dry.  If it's dry, it will fall apart.  If it's too wet, it doesn't bake up well.

I usually make at least a double batch and I use my food processor.  I have been known to make 10 batches at a time in my Bosch.  That's fun.

So, add the butter and sugar to the food processor and process until smooth.  Then add the flour and process until it forms a ball that runs around with the blade.

Grease the shortbread pan with melted butter, but don't get it on too thick.

Press the dough into the pan using your hands and pushing down on it pretty well so the dough goes into all the pretty little indentations of the mold.

Bake at 325* for about 30 minutes.  I usually let it go a bit longer in my oven until the top is really golden brown.  If it is underbaked, the dough will stick to the mold and all the beauty of the design is lost.  I've had that happen too many times, and it's disappointing.

Take it out of the oven, loosen the side edges with a knife and then let it cool in the mold for ten minutes.

Take a cutting board and lay it over the top of the mold, then flip the whole thing over and lay it on the counter.  Carefully lift the mold and then drop it on the cutting board to pop the cookie loose. Then remove the mold completely.

Cut the shortbread on the cutting lines built into the mold and then cool on a cooling rack.

My family likes them while they are still warm, but they also freeze well. I've done that for wedding receptions in the past.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment