Saturday, August 10, 2013

Clay Pot Chicken

This is a weekly staple in my kitchen.  There is so much that can be done with a chicken.....meat alone, casseroles, hearty broth for soups from the carcass.  One of God's best ideas, and one of the healthiest options, if you are able to get free range birds.

I use chickens that are between 5 and 6 pounds.

I soak my Romertopf clay pot for 10 minutes, both the lid and the base.

I rinse my chicken well and then plop it in the clay pot.

I sprinkle it with salt and pepper and then add 2-3 cups of water in the bottom.

I cover it and then put it in a cold oven, set the heat to 400* or 425*, depending on my time, and bake it for 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 hours.

It's the easiest ever, and the chicken is so moist and juicy.

After eating the chicken or boning it for later use, I make chicken broth and either store it in the fridge for soup or just drinking hot, or I freeze it for using later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment