Thursday, September 5, 2013

Old Fashioned Buttermilk Biscuits

One of the most common sayings in our family surrounding biscuits is, "Can you ever make too many biscuits?!"  And I'm always asked how many each person gets whenever I serve them.  When my answer is "Four," I get grins and happy sighs.  :-)

Ingredients:

4 cups unbleached flour
2 Tablespoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter
1 1/2 cup buttermilk (or half and half)

Method:

Mix flour, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl..

Cut in the butter until it looks like coarse meal with some pea-sized chunks still in it.

Add the buttermilk and mix until the dough is in a ball.  You want it soft but not overly sticky.

Flour the counter or cutting board and roll out the dough.  I do a long thin strip instead of a round one, like pie dough, so it's quicker and easier to cut out the biscuits.

Cut circles using the size you most prefer and place the cutouts in a cast iron pan.  Cast iron makes the best biscuits, as far as I'm concerned.

Bake at 400º for about 20 minutes, or until golden.
Serve with butter and honey or jam.
And chicken soup!


No comments:

Post a Comment