Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Krumkaker



These mean Christmas to me!  From my Norwegian kin, we had these every Christmas for dessert with ice cream squares with cute little icing bows or wreaths or candy canes on top.  I found a Nordic Ware Krumkake iron at a flea market 30 years ago for $12.  I was reflecting today, as I made my annual batch for Christmas Day, that I've gotten my money's worth!

Ingredients:
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick butter, melted (1 1/2 cup)
3/4 cup flour (It can be either wheat or gluten-free flour blend)
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom

Method:
Beat eggs and sugar until thick.
Stir in the melted butter and flour-mixed-with-cardamom.
Blend well.
Heat the Krumkake Iron on both sides over medium heat.
Brush with butter and put about a tablespoon of batter in the center of the iron.
Close it and cook for about half a minute on each side, turning the iron.
Roll quickly into a "cigar" shape and cool on a wire rack.


2 comments: